Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Everyday Project Day 295

 Although I love my reality shows, I don't often have the time to take on a series. I don't like the crime dramas and my comedies are pretty limited to Big Bang Theory and Modern Family. My go to is anything on the Food Network. I started watching Under the Dome and I hope it doesn't head into confusion land like Lost.

While on vacation, I started watching Orange is the New Black on Netflix on my ipad. The reason I watched on my ipad is I don't want to interfere with anyone else's tv choices and I have Netflix. And I was up at 3 am NJ time.

Orange is the New Black is based on the memoir of Piper Kerman, a well educated, well off, engaged white chick. Kerman spent 13 months in prison in 2004, for getting caught laundering money for her heroin dealing, girlfriend 10 years ago.

Kerman is Piper Chapman, played by Taylor Shilling.  Piper is just learning how to get by in prison, when who shows up but Alex. The girlfriend, Alex, is played by Laura Prepon from that '70's Show.

The characters are well developed and each episode details how one of the main characters ended up in the prison as well as the daily struggles, prison codes and relationships among the characters. It also showcases the creativity the women have by trying to make do with the basic prison issue stuff.

Ex: In episode 13, the last one in Season 1, an inmate known for not ever having spoken breaks out in song during the Christmas pageant wearing this crown made entirely of tampons.



It is what it is...
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment