Thursday, September 12, 2013

The Everyday Project Day 298

Cara's follow up:

This is the email I sent to her teacher. Pretty non-confrontational as I see it.

Cara would like to share in class tomorrow.

She did share some disturbing information this afternoon. Cara said some kids were laughing and joking during the video. When I questioned her further as to what the teacher did, she said you may not have heard or you had stepped out of the room for a moment. Cara was really upset at this behavior and it was the 1st thing she mentioned when I picked her up. I would like to assume had you known that laughing and joking was going on, you would have stopped it.

I thought you should know that this was going on as Cara may not bring it up to you.

Respectfully,
Marybeth

And her response:
Ok, Cara can share tomorrow.
Wow, I'm shocked at the behavior she heard. I did not hear it. I did step across the doorway briefly, but it was silent when I returned. I will address it in a meaningful way, not pointing to Cara.

Thanks,
Felicia

So... Cara presented her stuff to the class and she said they were very interested. She said the teacher said something like: Most of you were new born babies if you were born at all when 9/11 happened. While people on the west coast were horrified and shocked, most were not affected the way the east coast was. Those people had family and loved ones who were killed or rescue workers or survivors. WE ALL need to be considerate and respectful because only by geography, you were not affected.

Nicely done, Ms. Ryder.

It is what it is...
Namaste

1 comment:

  1. From a teachers viewpoint, she really didnt make the point she should have. EVERY AMERICAN was deeply affected. ALL of lives were changed forever. What is wrong with people? Argg

    ReplyDelete