Sunday, August 18, 2013

The Everyday Project Day 274

Field trip to NYC and the 9/11 Memorial.

 Getting the family pass got us in without waiting in the huge line. It was emotional seeing John's name carved there. I spent some time reflecting on the great times we had as kids. I am grateful to our parents for keeping our families connected as kids and we continue that as adults. I especially remember our times in the Poconos in the summers. John would randomly show up with his friends Corky and Fitz. "Just passin through."

St. Paul's Chapel was something we noticed as we were looking for our parking garage. There was a sign that said George Washington was here. That lead to a discussion between Colin and Andrew consisting mostly of "how do they know?" And " What if..." Descending quickly in nonsense. It also has a cool old graveyard that I wanted to look at. I thought that would catch the boys attention since we don't have church graveyards anywhere we go in CA.

Turns out it was an awesome stop since it was a major place for exhausted rescue workers to eat, sleep, and pray after their 12-18 hour days. They had tons of information, pictures and memorials. Since the 9/11 museum is not yet completed, this really brought home what Ground Zero was like the days, weeks and months following the collapse of the towers.

Paula found us an awesome lunch spot not too far away called 121 Fulton. The name is the address. There was enough fancy food to please me and Paula and enough more regular choices for everyone else.

Thanks Paula!

Cara is off for a couple of days on the farm aka Stoney Creek Orchard with Auntie Paula, Uncle Roger and the big dog Magnus.

I tried to upload too many pictures from my iPad and I totally jacked things up. Let me know if you want an invite to my photo stream for the pictures. Or check Facdbook. I'll try from my dads computer tomorrow.

It is what it is...
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment