Wednesday, August 7, 2013

The Everyday Project Day 263

Family Field Trip Day - Padres vs Orioles


My tutor student's mom gave us AWESOME seats to the Padre game today. 1st base line field level! Scott had to work so it was me, Colin, Cara and Phyllis. Surprise! No extra kids.


Me with my $10 beer

Although the Pads lost and we all had a good time, my point today is sunscreen.

 Here is the backstory.

 Back in "the day" I was one of those baby oil tanners. I couldn't get dark enough. 10-2 was my prime time. Hawaiian Tropic Oil SPF 2 was too much protection. ( Thanks Mom) Before I have had any skin cancer, I have seen the error of my youthful days and have embraced sunscreen. In the morning, I wash my face and on goes the 30 SPF. If I'm going to be at the field, beach or on recess duty, on goes the sunscreen. My favorite is the Hawaiian Tropic Sheer touch. It's a lotion and a sunscreen and has that recognizable HT scent. It may seem like I am still a tanner but the tan I have is still courtesy of SPF 30. 10 minutes in the sun and I'm tan. It is what it is...


Scott is a fair skinned man and on tons of meds that interact with the sun. We go through bottles of Banana Boat 110.

Colin is an easy tanner but he still goes with the clear zinc on his face.

Cara got the MacNaughton skin and will fry like an egg on the sidewalk. She knows to reapply. Both kids wear rash guards and long shorts at the beach and the pool so they are well covered. Rarely do they get more than pink.

Which brings me to the Padre game today.
Me: Let's go. We are out the door in 10 min. Sunscreen up.
10 minutes later. Lets go. Everyone sunscreened?
Cara: Yeah,
Colin: mumble....
Phyllis: ....
Me: Phyllis did you sunscreen? Our seats are in the sun.
Phyllis: I guess I better put some on....(reluctantly)
Me: Phyllis, we go through this all the time. Put on the sunscreen.
Phyllis: well, OK

At the game, we are in the sun. I notice Cara melting and being uncomfortable so at the top of the 5th inning I ask her if she wants to try and find some seats in the shade. You would have thought she won the lottery. She did suck it up and not whine. I gotta give her that but being the good mom that I am...I noticed her pain.

I asked Colin and Phyllis if they wanted to join us. Without appearing to like the seats, I could tell Colin really did like them and didn't want to leave. Phillis stayed too. I would have stayed since I was good in the sun and that's probably how I should have done it. HOWEVER, Phyllis is a full grown grandma and should have been able to speak her mind and go with Cara to the shade. But nooooo, she stays with Colin.

On the ride home, as she shows me her lobster red arms
Phyllis: I got some sunburn today.
Me: didn't you sunscreen like I told you?????
Phyllis: Well I did the tops of my arms.... And I did my ears when you passed me the stick...
Me: Did you miss it when I said everyone sunscreen before we left. All over exposed body parts? We will be in the sun????
Phyllis: Well, I did the top of my arms...
Me: Use the aloe gel when we get home.

Seriously? When does my responsibility end???

It is what it is...
Namaste

This is jackfruit.

 I got it at the farmers market yesterday. Its really good. Part of my plan to try new things...Love it!!!!!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackfruit

The flesh of the jackfruit is starchy and fibrous, and is a source of dietary fibre. The flavor is comparable to a combination of apple, pineapple, mango and banana.





No comments:

Post a Comment