Wednesday, June 26, 2013

The Everyday Project Day 221

 Just because you have an A$$hole doesn't mean you need to be an A$$hole. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Tonight's game between Coronado and Rancho Penasquitos American brought out the best and the worst in youth sports. It started out with no umpires and no district staff member. I tried my best as tournament director to get things moving. With the advice of our District Administrator, I got things rolling and hoped for the best.

The Good:
The best arrived when Scott showed up and offered to ump the bases. He grabbed Andrew from HIS All Star practice to run the plate. Andrew is only 13. Kids playing on the teams are 13. Technically he could be playing in this division. I grab the mic and make the announcement that the game will be starting and introduce the umpires. I stated that Andrew has called many intermediate games behind the plate during this season and he does a fabulous job.

The Ugly:
After a close but correct call, a parent on the Coronado team yells, " when are the REAL umpires going to show up!" I about hit the roof. I calmly went over to her and said, " Please keep your comments positive. Andrew is a kid, taking time away from HIS All Star team to volunteer to umpire this game so YOUR kid can play." She replied," I was only asking a question." I said, "It didn't sound that way to me." As I removed my sunglasses and stared directly into her eyes. "Sorry," she says not meaning it.

The Bad: 
The game was called on account of darkness but since it was tied 10-10 in the 7th inning, it will start again tomorrow. Exactly where we left off. At 3:30pm. Some parents got totally nasty to our district reps who are doing their best to keep everyone happy and the decisions fair. They yelled and hollered and stamped their feet. As Scott, started to drag the field in the dark and I am struggling with speakers, the guy is still commenting on calls Scott made as base ump. I get it that emotions are high and its a tie game and your team is undefeated. And we all have to be back at 3:30. ( me even earlier) But WE ARE VOLUNTEERS. Our kids are NOT even here playing. We are here for you. Until 9 pm. From 3 pm, after work. We can't control the darkness and the light. (Warning, Zen statement coming up) I live in the light, in happy groovy land...

Just because you have an A$$hole, it doesn't mean you need to be an A$$hole.

It is what it is...
Namaste

2 comments:

  1. Sounds to me you all did a great job making it all work, as VOLUNTEERS. Andrew is an awesome umpire, Todd and I were commenting on it last night. And I'll get in anyone's face who makes comments about him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do not know HOW you keep a level head with some of these people.... I admire you for that!!

    ReplyDelete