Wednesday, June 12, 2013

The Everyday Project Day 209 1/2

 The Pochers are  a very stoic family. 15 minutes of sympathy is all we got. After 15 minutes, we either got over it or wallowed in our sorrow in our room. There was no never ending grief or self pity.

When my mom went into the hospital with breast cancer that moved into her lungs, she didn't ask for anyone to come. We had our vacation plans made for August. I asked her if I should come in June.  I was busy with baseball. The kids were still in school. Scott had to work. She told me to do what I wanted. I made the decision to go to NJ the next day.  I called my siblings and told them to get there no matter what.  Sometimes the oldest still has to pull rank.

I went directly to the hospital and did not leave for 3 days or nights. I held my mother's hand. I rubbed her head. I prayed with her and over her. I told her to breathe and breathed with her. I would have breathed  for her if I could have. My love of yoga and its connection with the breath was solidified during these days.

She passed away 1 week after she went into the hospital. My father, my sister and both of my brothers were there. We all were in complete agreement on when to have her moved to the hospice floor. We were all there when she passed peacefully. My mom was the anchor of our family. She insisted on family holidays and vacations. She was sometimes hard to get along with. It was often her way or the highway. But keeping the Pochers  together was her first priority.

3 years ago today, my mother passed away. I will be ever thankful for my functional and loving family. We disagree at times  but honor and respect each other and our decisions. Marybeth, Paula, Chuck and Rich have our parents, Charles and Bobbi to thank for this.

It is what it is...
Namaste

1 comment:

  1. Loved this... You are one of the strongest women I know.. hugs my friend

    ReplyDelete