Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Everyday Project Day 201

Soooo... I was asked to comment on the difficult parent from yesterday. Cause y'all want to know the dirt on what those "other" parents do... since we are not one of "them."

In the Farm division (7-8 year olds) there is a post season tournament called Little Stars. Its not a LL sanctioned team so its not called All Stars. We have 4 teams in that division, each manager picks 3 kids and there are 12 kids on the team. Easy Peasy. You would hope the managers would pick the best players, the most committed, good teammates,etc. An email was sent to the managers to forward to ALL parents informing them of the tournament, selection process, etc.

Her kid was not chosen for the team. I agree, he is a good player and probably should have been chosen. Her argument was her kid wasn't picked last year because the managers were only picking 8 year olds. This year the coaches kid got put on the team even though he is only 7 and doesn't play well, blah,blah, blah...

Rather than answering her long, rambling email and risk her interpreting things the wrong way, I met her and listened to her for 45 min. I agree it hurts when your kid isn't chosen and the manager's kid is. Wrong, right or otherwise, one of the privileges of of putting in the time, work and effort of managing a team (or being president) is getting to pick your kid if you want to.

It is what it is...
Namaste

PS: Dropped the yearbook flash drive off at the printers. Whewwww what a weight off my shoulders and one more thing to cross off the list. I don't think its great but it won't suck either and no one else would do it. Dude, people go to college for this stuff and I figured out a passable amount in 4 days.  And I passed the board nomination calls off on the secretary.
 Again...
It is what it is...


2 comments:

  1. I feel for that mom :( And you're so nice to actually hear her out... That must have been difficult though..I wouldn't know what to say in your position

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel for her too. Her kid is a good player but its ultimately the manager's choice. As president, I have to sit in on the drafts and its hard to hear the managers talk about my kids and how they stack up against the other kids. Its my job to listen to complaints but generally, I will back a manager vs a parent who drops her kid off and shows up to watch the games. I hereby double my salary!

    Cara was voted on an All Star team. She is not the best player, but she is one of the best that signed up. She brings a lot to the table in terms of good sportsmanship, work ethic, team building and her get it done attitude. She is a solid player as an 11 year old girl on a team with mostly 12 year old boys.

    ReplyDelete