Monday, February 25, 2013

The Everyday Project Day 102

Nice chat today, Dad.

Lets put this in the category of "I couldn't have said it better myself" because I'm not trying to get out of today's blog. This was in our local newspaper the UT San Diego.


This space is usually reserved for reader questions and Sports Dad’s response. This week, however, the reader plays both parts. This is an actual email sent to Dear Sports Dad on Saturday:
Dear Sports Dad,
I’m so darn frustrated with these Little League people. It’s funny, but I figured a good way to vent and ask my question is to send it to you.
I’m just trying to figure out if this just happens in my Little League or if this is just the unorganized, awful stuff that everyone sees in their Little Leagues also.
Here it is: one week before “Opening Day” and my son does not have his uniform. We do not have our league schedule completely finished, which makes it impossible for me to plan anything, and my son’s teams have not practiced enough for my son to even remember how to throw a baseball.
I just think the people who run these leagues need to get a clue and work these things out sooner so that they can make the experience better for everyone.
I know I’m frustrated, but I’m wondering if I’m alone.

Dear Frustrated Parent,
You are not alone ... but you are thankless and crazy!
I hope you have read and reread your message, because now a lot of other people are getting to share in the disbelief that I just discovered in reading it.
Here’s the deal, “frustrated.” Unless your Little League is different than every other one of the thousands of leagues in the world, it is run by volunteers. ALL VOLUNTEERS. These people have other jobs and other lives. Out of the goodness of their hearts (although in some cases it could be driven out of pure OCD to try to make things perfect), they spend hundreds, if not thousands, of hours each year trying to organize a league where your children get to play the game they love.
Getting these leagues up and running each year takes an army, and unfortunately it’s usually just a few who actually do the work. I can help you with your schedule: Plan on your children having a practice and two games per week for the next 14-18 weeks. Plan on having a uniform and attending Opening Day. And plan on playing catch with your son, getting him some outside lessons if he can’t remember how to throw, or simply wait until this brave volunteer coach has time to work with him.
Little League is about leadership, fun, snack bars and the great game of baseball. Relax and enjoy the season and appreciate those volunteers who make it happen instead of making their lives more difficult.
Dear Sports Dad: Which end of this argument do you suppose the writer is on?
Keep ’em coming!
scott.kaplan@utsandiego.com

It is what it is...
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment