Wednesday, January 30, 2013

The Everyday Project Day 76

Let me break it down for ya.

This is what I tell a 5 year old in the kinder class I was subbing in today.

The behavior system in most of the lower grade classes I sub in at Erison involves a color coded chart and clothes pins. Green in in the middle, red is at the top and brown frown is at the bottom. The teachers have been doing this system for years and I am completely familiar with it. All the clips start on green "ready to learn". Kids get their clips move up or down the chart through out the day. The goal is to get to " outstanding or awesome"  red by the end of the day. Then different teachers have different rewards, etc.

My goal is for the whole class to be on red at the end of the day. This common goal makes for an easy and fun day. Always my personal goal. Plus peer pressure works wonders.

At the beginning of the day, I always talk about how this is our goal. Blah, blah, blah. The kids always buy in. Always. I am so positive. Using positive language,bribery, points, etc.  Nothing really bothers me. Hyper kids, slow kids, crazy kids... I'm only there for one day.

Today it gets to be after lunch and one kid starte whining about why is Aaron, Khaia, Somya and a bunch of other kids get to do all the jobs. The "jobs" are door holder, eraser, lunch tub, etc.

Almost all of the kids are on orange, one color below red. This kid is on purple, one level above brown frown. So I say. " even though you are only 5, let me break it down for ya. Look at the color chart. Those kids are on orange. You are on purple. You did not follow the rules. Ms. Bartig even moved you down during ELD. That's why they get to do the jobs. Get it? How do you get to to do a job?"

He says , "get on orange." "  Good answer. ", I say.

All the classroom are loft style so there are no doors through out the whole building so all the classes have to be conscience to not disturb the neighbors.

After school, Ms. Bartig, the teacher next door, comes over and asks, " did I hear you say I''m gonna break it down for ya?" "

" yup"

She says asks if I knew the vp was in her class observing a student.

I say, "I guess I broke it down for him too."
She says, " that's why you are our favorite sub."

 I crack myself up sometimes.
It is what it is...
Namaste

1 comment: