Tuesday, January 8, 2013

The Everyday Project Day 54

I went to the Town Council meeting last night because they were having someone from the police gang unit there to talk about gangs. We have been having a problem with "gang" type people hanging out at the baseball fields. They have been drinking, drugging, vandalising and generally making a mess. The broke into our snack bar sheds and stole a bunch of our logo t-shirts and sweatshirts. Why bunch of bad ass Asian Crips would want that is beyond me. Unless its cool to be in little league. I think it was in retaliation for us calling the police all the time. Too bad for them.

I learned that our nice town of Mira Mesa has the highest activity of Asian gangs in SD. And a number of the ones in high school have straight A averages. Who knew? Anyway, I didn't really learn anything new and we are doing all of the right things to keep them away from our fields.

So I'm just sitting there at the meeting listening. It was the first meeting of year so the new officers were sworn in. All of our local polititians were there there. A bunch of community people were announcing their upcoming events. Next thing you know I hear," We have a very special community, youth sports leader here tonight." I look around to see who it might be. A Padre or Charger player perhaps. Maybe Willie Santos, the skateboard star. He is a big influence in getting a skatepark in MM.

NOOOO... "The president of Mira Mesa West Little League, Marybeth MacNaughton is here. Lets give her a round of applause." Lots of clapping...

 I had no idea what to do. So I stand up . Thank everyone for supporting us. Tell them about our registration day on Saturday and the Padre jerseys we are getting again this year. Invite them to come out and watch a game.  Way to think on my feet. Holy Homerun!
I met a bunch of new people and thought of a few ways to partner up with some other community groups. It was worth going.

Tonight is the District 32 president meeting. I guess I find out what is going in in Mission Bay. Hope it's not too long. It's a meeting kind of week.

It is what it is...
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment