Monday, December 3, 2012

The Everyday Project Day 19

I'm subbing 2 days in Ms. Mary's moderate/severe class. Every time I sub there I am reminded of how blessed Scott and I are to have healthy, non-disabled children. (well maybe not the totally healthy part for Colin).

There are anywhere from 6-10 children in the class with varying degrees of autism, developmental delays and huge medical needs. Today there were 7. All are non-verbal. All need to be diapered and 3 need to have G-tube feedings. One is in a wheel chair and can't do anything. I think he has cerebral palsy.One  medically fragile girl passed away last month.There are 3 aides and 1 teacher. When I am there Mr. Mel does pretty much nothing but diapering and feeding since I am not certified. The class isn't called moderate/severe for nothing.

I was eating lunch with the K teachers and another Ericson sub was there. He told me I was brave for taking that class. He would never take it. I told him I always take that class. I said the parents, Mary, Mel, Ricky and Karla are the brave ones. I'm only there once in awhile. They are there everyday.

The kids are loving, touchy, floppy and so low functioning. They are all grades K-3 with one 5th grader. They don't know numbers, letters, shapes, colors. We play with the stacking, light up and matching toys that infants use. We do circle time and bubbles. They have speech, OT, PT, APE and music therapy. We have sensory breaks. 2 can't have play dough because they eat everything. We go through tons of Purell and Kleenex. And they are supposed to be mainstreamed to their grade level classes. (but that's a whole nother subject) I have known some of these kids for 3 years. They are making progress! Slow but sure. I worry about their futures. Room 22 is my favorite class at Ericson.

It is what it is...
Namaste

Project today is Mango Pepper Jelly for the craft fair on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment