Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Everyday Project Day175

Traditionally the 8th grade students in San Diego take a big trip to the East Coast. They go to Washington D.C., Philadelphia, New York and Boston. Before the budget cuts and some law about everything being equal, the schools used to sponsor the trips. Parents had to pay, of course but I believe the cost was lower and they went during school time. Now its run through the PTSA. Parents still have to pay but now the trip is taken during spring or summer break.

This evening I went to a meeting for next year's trip since Colin will be in 8th grade. Everyone knows about the "Big 8th Grade Trip". Last night this was the conversation.

Me: Colin, what do you think about the East Coast trip next year?
Colin: blank look
Me: Do you know what I'm talking about?
Colin: blank look
Me: ???? well??? The trip 8th graders take to the East Coast???? New York? Boston? Philadelphia? D.C? East Coast???The coast opposite us?
Colin: You mean the one where we can go to all those places when we go to the East Coast for a lot less money? Like where we went already?
Me: Well, yea
Colin: Why would I want to do that? You or Grandpa can take me to those places IF  I want to go.
Me: Well, there is the social aspect. A week away from your parents, with just your friends, hotels...
Colin: I don't think so.
Me: Are any of your friends going?
Colin: I don't know.
Me: I'll go to the meeting to find out about it.
Colin: blank look

I go the meeting. I only recognized 1 set of parents and they didn't belong to friends of Colin. Price $2,743. They do about a billion things in 7 days. Sleep is not one of them. I do not see Colin going on this trip. Cara on the other hand... 2 years to save the money.

It is what it is...
Namaste

1 comment:

  1. Alex didn't go because of price. He didn't go to the Arizona one, either. Grandma lives in Sedona so we can go for free! Besides, I get rid of the kids for a couple of weeks every Summer when they go to Boy Scout camp.

    Happy Mothers Day!

    ReplyDelete