Thursday, May 9, 2013

The EveryDay Project Day 174

The high school student I tutor is reading The Catcher in the Rye. I read that book in high school, more than 30 years ago.( Holy gray hair...did I just write more that 30 years ago?) I remember it was a huge deal and everyone looked forward to reading a "banned" book. How controversial! Then I remembered what a huge disappointment it was. I thought it was one of the worst books I ever read. I couldn't exactly remember why. It has been more than 30 years.

I started reading it yesterday to refresh my memory. 3 pages into it, I remembered why. Holden Caulfield, the main character is the most whiny, self centered, delusional, annoying character there is. I hate the writing style, the cursing and the repetition of words. There is no plot. Its just a rambling mess. Just my opinion. You may like old Holden and the whole goddamn book. (That's how most of it goes) However, I didn't want to influence Angelo's opinion.

Me: How far are you into the book and how do you like it so far? Its a classic. Most kids your age like it.
Angelo: Its OK. ( I didn't really expect a different answer)
Me: What do you like so far?
Angelo: I don't know. ( ditto on that)
Me: How do you like the main character?
Angelo: He lies, he only thinks about himself, he lies to himself. He thinks he's all that when he's not. He has no point. He is annoying and I would never be friends with him. So I guess I really don't like this book too much.

It is what it is...
Namaste


No comments:

Post a Comment