Friday, October 4, 2013

The Everyday Projecf Day 320

Day 2 down in Ms. Mary's mod/severe SpEd class. Only Monday left to go.  By 1:30, the animals were definitely running the zoo. This is a clear case of let's throw every kind of disability in a room, group the kids by age and not have a plan or enough support. There are touchers, runners, chair throwers and kids who just sit and stim. And then there are the G tube feedings for 2 kids and diapers for 6.  Suddenly 12 kids and 4 adults don't seem so easy anymore.

Included in my bag of tricks... A lion puppet I stole from Cara and named Kona ( I'm not a puppet fan but hey..it works) and the Pocher family Thomas set with new batteries for the the trains. LOVE!!!! So do the kids. ( They had a lameo mixed match set last year in SEEC so I figured the upgrade would be Awesome)

The day just starts off just fine. Everyone is doing what they should be doing and then the 3 kids who I thought were absent show up. 90 minutes late!!! Can we all say monkey wrench?  Getting us all back to Happy Town just never happens. The minute we get one calmed down, someone else pops up. All of my careful planning and strategizing  it out with Karla and Mel (the aides) go out the window and we are in survival mode. I'm only here for 3 days. Karla, Mel and Mary are in it for the whole year and they are only 24 days in. My opinion... 3 or 4 of these kids DO NOT belong in public school.  If they were placed appropriatly, the rest of the class could function and grow. IEP goals could even be met.

Not my job but as part of my "how the time went" note to Mary is a very official sounding behavior assessment report. I'll post when it's done. If SDUSD did not have a big red Hiring Freeze posted on their website, I would be great in the behavior support department. (Breaking my arm patting myself of the back here) But as we all know, it all comes down to the money, not the best interest of the students. That would be my down fall.  These are kids and families who are impacted and fair is not when everything is equal but when everyone gets what they need.

The animals should not be running the zoo.

It is what it is...
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment