Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Everyday Project Day 15

1:15pm
Phone rings.
"Marybeth?"
"Yea?"
"Its Shannon. I have Colin in the nurse's office."
" Crap. I'm at the Ericson Craft Show. What's wrong now?"
" He's having shortness of breath, racing heart, sweating. You need to come get him."
"Be right there"

Do you think I should have said call 911? Do you think she should have said I'm calling 911? Nooooo. What the heck is wrong with both of us????

Get to school. He looks horrible. Pale, sweating, difficulty breathing. Do you think I said let's call 911? Noooo.
Me: Get in the car, we are going  to Urgent Care.
Colin: I don't want to go.
Me: We are going . Colin starts crying.

We get there and check in.  I tell them its Urgent. He needs to see someone NOW! Thank you Jasmine for getting him right in. They get him in and start taking vitals. His heart rate has returned to normal range. He stops sweating, its easier to breathe. He tells doctor that he is 4 on pain scale. Doctor asks what it was before. Colin tells him 10.

Nurse Shaun take a quick ECG. He says the Dr. looks really young. He has good skin. He'll be in to read the ECG in a few minutes.

Doctor comes in. Holy Doogie Houser! He says it looks like your son has Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome. Its a heart condition where there is an extra pathway for the electrical signals that causes the heart to race, chest pain and difficulty breathing. There is a procedure called a radiofrequency catheter ablation to treat it. Go down to Children's Hospital ER immediately to confirm with a pediatric cardiologist.

Off we go.

Check in, hook him up, wait, x-ray, wait.

Cardiologist confirms diagnosis. Pediatric Cardiology will contact us by Monday or Tuesday to get a heart monitor that Colin will wear for a few weeks. Then they will decide on the treatment. He can go to school. No PE or sports. (just when he started back to soccer practice yesterday and was going to sign up for indoor soccer) Come back to ER immediately if it happens again.

Dang, this poor kid. He loves his sports and has missed so much time with the mono and now this.

6:30pm Get home. He eats then sits down to do his homework.

Colin: Mom, I'm really tired.
Me: What do you have to do?
Colin: English
Me: Go lay down. You don't have to do that.
Colin: Why?
Me: Because you spent the entire afternoon in the ER. I'll email your teachers that you will have any work that is due tomorrow turned in on Monday.
Colin: Thanks

Awesome thanks go to my "Seesta of another color" for taking over my jewelry table and packing everything up for me.

And to the super doctors, nurses and clerical people at Sharp Reese Stealy Urgent Care Sorrento Valley and Rady's Children's Hospital.

It is what it is...
Namaste


2 comments:

  1. OMG Marybeth! this is horrible..I'm so sorry..I will keep Colin in my prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  2. MB So sorry to hear about Colin. The good news is treatment is much less invasive than it used to be. I will also keep him in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete