Saturday, March 1, 2014

A Parent's Dilemma

One year ago, I asked Colin if he wanted to go on the 8th grade East Coast Trip. After thinking about it for oh.... about 10 seconds he says no. Why would I want to do that? It costs a lot and if I want to go somewhere on the east coast, Grandpa will take me. Fine, I say, because if you want to go, we can make it work but we will need to start saving and get on their payment plan, etc. It costs about $2600. Its not just about going to the places but going away from home with your friends and without parents, yada, yada.

You can probably see where this is going.

Colin comes home from school and says he changed his mind and wants to go. The trip is in 3 weeks! I don't even know if they have any spots but some of his friends have been talking about it. In my brain I'm screaming "WTF!!!!!!!!!!" but I calmly say I'll talk to Scott.

Now, Cara has been saving her money since the end of 6th grade and we will get on the payment plan. Scott has taken a pay-cut every year for the last 8 or so years. I have been working my butt off subbing to make up the slack. We are not rolling in money here.

I talk to Scott, mentioning we don't have the money unless we put it all on a credit card, how we talked about this last year, how Colin has not saved 1 penny of the money, and has said multiple times how he DOESN'T want to go. Major life lesson for Colin. Of course I feel sooooo bad as I'm saying all this because I wanted him to want to.

I went on all the school and band trips and had a great time. So did Scott. Colin never wants to go overnight anywhere unless its to a hotel, or Grandpa's. He never goes to friends homes. They always come here. So going on this trip would be a big step for him socially.

And by now, Colin has said, forget it, its too late, I screwed up. I'm so stupid and is totally down on himself.

After a lot of discussion, Scott says we can sell some stock to pay for it. I guess I'm ok with that but Colin has thus far put forth no effort and that is what is bugging me. So- he is supposed to find out who we contact to see if there is room and can he still go or a website to get some information. I am not going to be spending my time figuring all this out.

Colin is still in "forget it" mode and now is home sick today.

Do I know what teacher is in charge? Yes
Can figure out how to get some info? probably
Even as I am writing this, do I want to make it possible for Colin to go on the trip? yes
Should I actually do it? Probably not

But my heart still hurts because its tough to see him beat himself up over a possible missed opportunity.

Tick-tock, times a wastin' I don't think its too much to ask for minimal effort at this late date, if he really changed his mind and wants to go. I just wish he let us know sooner. I kind of hope that the trip is already closed and there is nothing anyone can do.

It is what it is...
Namaste

1 comment:

  1. wow, that's tough and I feel your frustration, heartache :(

    ReplyDelete