Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Coining

File this  under " Something I had never seen before" Shocking photo at the end...

Ever heard of "coining"? Me neither, until yesterday.

A boy in the class I was working in, said the boy next to him had a mark on his neck and on his shoulder. I go over to check it out. Sure enough there is a  reddish mark about 3 inches long and 1/2 wide at the base of his skull. I look more closely being careful not to touch it and peek down his shirt. It looked like some kind of rash on his shoulder upper neck area. He said it is not itchy. I asked him if he knew how he got it but I got no answer. I lifted the back bottom of his shirt and his whole back is covered. I immediately send him to the nurse. ( since we have no nurse, the health tech if he/she is there)

They called back. Its called "coining".
Me: What's that? Is is contagious???
Them: No its a Chinese/Vietnamese cultural healing method. Someone did this to him.
Me: What???
Them: Its cultural. He said he had a headache and this is what his family does.
Me: I never heard of this!!!
Them: Its not uncommon but I had to report it to CPS (Child Protective Services)
Me: WOW!!!

No one at lunch had heard of it either.

As soon as I get home, I Google it. The short version is: Its a Chinese/Vietnamese medical treatment where the acupressure points are rubbed with an oil such as Tiger Balm or other healing oil. Then a coin or spoon is repeatedly rubbed over the areas to bring blood to the surface and thus releasing the toxins.
This is almost exactly what this boy's back looked like:
Google it for yourself if this isn't enough for you.

It is what it is...
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment