Friday, March 28, 2014

Godspeed and Safe Travels

Off they go!

Colin. Jack, Brendan and Oren are all in the same room. These kids have been together since Kinder in one way or another. This year they have some classes together but mostly its the carpool.

Oren, Colin, Jack, Brendan

This is the itinerary. They will be super busy!




I realize that as a family we travel more than most. However, we Pochers were raised to be very self sufficient travelers at an early age. My dad, Captain Grandpa, is a retired United pilot and we often were told to pack at a moments notice. It probably didn't really happen like this but this is how I remember it.

Bobbi (my mom): Kids, you father has a 3 day layover in (fill in the place). Get packed, we're going with him.

Kids then go packed. I don't ever remember her packing for us.

Sooo -  since that always worked well for us, it has been my go to method as well since the kids were about 6. I would give them their suitcase or duffle bag and they would pack. Or I would tell them to put all the stuff they wanted to bring on my bed and I would pack a big suitcase for the 2 of them. Basic information was given out such as how long the trip was going to be and the general climate. That's it. Pack it up.

My point, you ask? I gave Colin the list for the trip, a suitcase and told him to pack. They are going to a Broadway show and to see Blue Man Group so he needed some nice pants and shirts. I did put my foot down on no saggy-ass jeans to a Broadway show. I bought him 2 pants and 3 shirts to choose from. There is still 1 pair of pants and 1 shirt on the floor in his room so I am assuming the others are in the suitcase. Other that that, he has what he has.

At the airport last night, Colin has the smallest suitcase in his group. Its not tiny but the larger size that can be checked or carried on. Definitely enough room for the trip.

Oren's mom: I hope I packed everything Oren needs.
Brendan's mom: Me too, I sent extra bags for dirty laundry for Brendan to share with the group.
Jack's mom: did you pack dress clothes and  blah, blah, blah...?

This goes on for about 5 minutes discussing what was packed and will it be good enough for the rainy weather they are expecting.

Me: I have no idea what is in Colin's suitcase.
All together now: WHAAAAAAT!!!!
Me: He is almost 15 years old. I gave him the list and told him to pack.
Them: You didn't check it?
Me: No, he has done this before. If he forgot something and he needs it, he can do without or figure out a way to get it. They are going to major cities, not the Congo. Hello, gift shops are everywhere!

As Bobbi would say: I never met a gift shop I didn't like!

It is what it is...
Namsaste

No comments:

Post a Comment