Sunday, March 16, 2014

From Baseball to Honor Band

Happy Sunday!

I started a post last week about one of my favorite cheesy shows, the Bachelor but I didn't get around to finishing it. You have to wait to hear my "true feelings" (that's Bachelor speak) on Juan Pablo but until then we have....

From Baseball to Honor Band

Its been a super busy week for me. I completed a full week subbing at Ericson (Its hard being retired) as well as LL business and thankfully not to much drama. I also had to drive the Honor Band carpool a few times. Now that's a funny bunch. Stay tuned for more Tales from the Carpool Lane.

They had practice Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights. Saturday was the dress rehearsal and performance. What an awesome experience for both Andrew and I. After losing the baseball game 5-6, I drove a dirty and disappointed Andrew to Point Loma Nazarene University for the dress rehearsal.(thankfully the dress part was not requires since we were already late.) He slept the whole way there and back in the car.  I think it got him out of his funk though because he was dressed and waiting when I picked him up to go back. The concert was AMAZING! These kids are SOOOOOO talented!
http://www.pointloma.edu/discover/about-plnu

It was the first time Andrew had been in a real theater. There were a bunch of SDUSD big wigs there praising the kids. What an eyeopener for Andrew and especially his mom. She brought his 3 little brothers, her boyfriend, Jay and Andrew's uncle Marlin. She had no idea of how the whole band thing works or the caliber of the musicianship. Jay could not believe Colin was not in it. He assumed Colin played an instrument and I just brought Andrew along. He didn't realize I was doing all this "just for Andrew."

On the way home, Andrew told me how thankful he was that I encouraged - OK made him do Honor Band. Its a big world out there and he is just starting to realize the many opportunities that he can take advantage of with some dedication and work.

He was surprised when I thanked him for letting me be a part of it.

Andrew: Why are you thanking me? All you did was drive us around, wait around and go to the concert.
Me: I completely enjoyed this experience. Without this experience, I would never have gotten to know Lucas, Keegan and Edward, I went to parts of San Diego that I had never been to before and I heard an amazing concert with talented musicians. Thank you.
Andrew: Your welcome. No one ever thanked me before...



It is what it is...
Namaste


1 comment: