Monday, December 9, 2013

The Gift Exchange

Wendy's annual Cookie/Gift Exchange was just lovely. We all brought a potluck dish and a $10 gift. I brought baked brie with mango/pepper jelly.
My gift was a scarf with the scarf jewelry.

Cara brought an ipod alarm clock that I had gotten on clearance just for this purpose.
No prank gifts. Although I haven't been in at least 5 years, it was pretty much the same and although I didn't really know anyone, everyone was friendly and nice. Wendy is a great hostess and kept things moving along with a few surprises. Things like the person who has a sticker on the bottom of the plate gets a prize. Most steals in the gift exchange gets a prize, etc...

The selling point for Cara was the gift exchange. We play the one where everyone gets a number and you can steal from anyone before you. #1 and a high number are the best. Now, you may know that The Office on Netflix is a favorite show around here. We watch it 24/7 some days. On one of the Christmas episodes they do a gift exchange. Everyone is trying to steal the popular gift which is an ipod and no one wants the mittens. Its hysterical, especially with the quirky people on that show. Cara thought it would be JUST like that. As a veteran of this particular gift exchange, I know better. There is not too much stealing. Sometimes, none. That's just how it is.

Cara: What if a kid gets an adult gift, like wine.
Me: You don't need to worry. They won't have any booze at this party.
Cara: How do you know?
Me: I just know.

There are only 3 kids, Cara, Maya and Riley. There are not too many kid friendly gifts ...like candy.

I get #5. Cara gets #17. She is super happy. Wendy's 9 year old niece, Maya, gets #2 or 3. Maya chooses an unopened package and gets a snowman candle. She looks very disappointed.

Me: whispering to Cara. I'm going to steal Maya's candle so she can pick again.
Cara: That's really nice. If you see something better, I'll steal her candle so she can choose again. I want her to get to pick again.

Then someone chooses Maya's gift. Its Starbucks Hot Cocoa and Giradelli Chocolates. Cara really wants that so I steal it thinking that Cara can steal from me. Someone steals the cocoa and candy. So Cara tells me to steal the 12 Days of Christmas coffee variety instead of choosing an unopened gift. So I do. I think Cara secretly wants to try the flavored coffee.

Finally, it comes to Cara's turn. She steals Maya's candle (which she has made friends with by this point and really wants it) Maya is so happy. What does she do??? Steals a sparkly bird candle from someone else and doesn't go for the last unopened gift!

On the way home:
Cara: I thought the gift exchange would be different.
Me: Like how?
Cara: You know, funnier, like The Office
Me: Well you know The Office is a TV show. People write it so its funny.
Cara: I know but I still thought it would be like that.
Me: Did you have fun?
Cara: Yea, when I wasn't feeling awkward.

It is what it is...
Namaste

Our coffee and snowman candle

The results of cookie exchange. All yummy, no duds.




No comments:

Post a Comment