Thursday, January 16, 2014

Jury Duty

In November the dreaded envelope came in the mail. Nope, not the Visa bill, although that's usually dreaded too. Jury duty. I looked at my busy schedule and immediately called to postpone and relocate. They gave me a date in January and today was the day. So armed with some magazines, a book, a movie loaded on my Ipad and snacks, off I went.

I rescheduled to the Vista location, which is about 15 miles further up in North County rather than downtown. I like downtown but the parking is horrendous and not FREE. Parking should be FREE if one is doing their civic duty. In Vista, there is a nice big FREE parking lot. There are also a few shopping centers close by to go to for lunch. The jury lounge is huge and very comfortable.

I actually kind of like jury duty. I can sit around for a few hours, read magazines, drink coffee and watch movies on my iPad and people feel sorry for me that I have to do that.

I have been summoned to JD 3 times and all 3 times I got chosen for the jury. Yay for me! The first time a loser beat his girlfriend with a heavy duty maglight. Guilty. The second time an ex-Navy officer was accused of firing a gun at a party and driving away. Not Guilty. The 3rd time, I had to ask to be excused because it was Colin's 5th grade promotion. I got scolded for not rescheduling but they let me off.

Today, I sat around for 3 1/2 hours. Got chosen to go to the courtroom on a 60 person panel. The jury officer said go to lunch and report back at 1:30. When I got back they had dismissed the rest of the 150 people also in the jury room. 40 minutes later, we were thanked for our service and dismissed too. No trials starting today. Jury Duty done, until I get the letter again. The Butler was a good movie.

It is what it is...
Namaste


1 comment:

  1. I WANT TO GO TO JURY DUTY. I THINK THAT WOULD BE SO INTERESTING!! And I could actually watch a movie uninterrupted!

    ReplyDelete