Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Catholic Girl Tries Jewish Guilt

Well, its been another hectic week with games and practices. Cara's Intermediate team, the Blue Jays got killed in their first (and only) TOC game on Saturday. Colin's first (hopefully of many) is tonight.

I have spent the last 2 days trying to get firm up nominations for the new board, making sure we have All Star jerseys, since Isaac was supposedly in charge of that (HaHa - back to square 1) and confirming the trophies and yearbooks will be delivered.  Elections are this Sunday at the picnic. Oh and coordinating the awards for Volunteer/Good Sport and Mom of the Year.

Apathy is running wild here at MMWLL. I got a total of 7 nominations for the awards. Yup 7- out of a league of 200 kids. For the 1st year, I did not nominate anyone because I just feel like I don't need to do 1 more thing.

Board nominations - same thing. I'm sure you all remember, I made it very clear when the last elected president quit after 1 week, I would take the job for 1 more year. Times up. Look what went out today.

MMWLL Family,

It is with great concern that I am writing this. While there were very few nominations for any board position, there were none for the office of president. 

As your president for 3 years and a board member for a total of 6 years, I understand the uncertainty or unwillingness to commit to such a position. When I was nominated, I was in your shoes. I knew virtually nothing about baseball and and still consider myself a baseball novice. 

Little League is set up for these situations. Situations in which volunteers serve for a period of time and then roles are passed on to others who have children of playing age. There is training and guidance available from the MMWLL bylaws as well as District 32. Little League International has a wealth of information that is constantly being refined and updated.  

You will not be alone. Several current board members have accepted their nominations. I sincerely hope that someone who is reading this right now says to them self, "I can do this!" 

To quote  First Century Jewish Scholar Hillel the Elder: 
If I am not for myself, who is for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, then when?

Sincerely,
Marybeth MacNaughton
Soon to be former MMWLL President

It is what it is...
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment