Sunday, November 2, 2014

Back In The Day Part 1

As many of you know it is now what is known as Marching Band Season. This is a whole lotta band with a little football on the side.

The Mira Mesa High School Invitation Parade of Bands and Field Show Tournament is one of the most prestigious around. Who knew???? I thought it was just another day Mira Mesa Blvd and the surrounding area was closed and to be avoided at all costs.

Eager to support my 2nd son, Andrew, I took a look at the sign up list I was sent to see where I could help out at their tournament. Its not even a list. Its a fancy website where you can take a look at the positions and times that are available. Of the possible 500 or so positions, I chose wristband checker on the visitor side from 3pm- 7pm. My reasoning was that it seemed like a no brainer, I wouldn't have to cook and I would be able to see the bands.

Here's how it goes. Bands perform, change out of their uniforms (more on that later) and come with their chaperones to the visitor side of the field to watch the rest of the bands. Spectators pay and sit on the home side. On the visitor side was a snack bar with and EXTENSIVE menu (more on that later too) and Flavor Fries, a local french fry vendor, which is AWESOME by the way.

Little did I know, I signed up for Wristband Nazi! 

All the directors are given a packet of information including EXACTLY the number of wristbands for their performers and then a certain number of chaperones. I was told this is based on a kid to chaperone ratio. Blue and white striped for the performers and white with orange stars for the adults. NO ONE other than the people with the correct wristband are allowed in. No orange and white striped from the morning performance. No florescent green for the spectators. NO ONE!!!! Did I make my point?

Reasons why people thought they could go in with the wrong wristband. And they answers we gave. 
I want to get some food. You have the same food and more on the home side.
My kid is here. Call them and they can come over and talk to you.
My kid needs/wants money. Same as above.
I have a wristband. That's a performer wristband. You are not a performer.
I have a wristband. That's a spectator wristband. You are on the wrong side of the field.
But I paid. You still have to sit on the Home side. This side is for performers and chaperones. 
But I paid, I should be able to sit where I want. You still have to sit on the Home side. This side is for performers and chaperones. 
They gave me the wrong wristband. No, they didn't. You paid for that one. You are not a performer or a chapeone. You still have to sit on the Home side.
I don't have a wristband because I was in the bathroom when they got passed out. Find your band director.
There wasn't enough for all the band members. Yes, there were. They were in the directors packet.
This is my friend. They have to sit on the Home side. This side is for performers and chaperones. 
This is my girl/boyfriend. They still have to sit on the Home side. This side is for performers and chaperones. 
I need to talk to my friend. Call them and they can come over and talk to you.

Answers we really wanted to give:
Are you stupid??? This side is for performers and chaperones. READ THE SIGN THAT YOU ARE STANDING NEXT TO!!!!

I learned later VIP and Judges room was the one of the prime spots. Catered food from all the local restaurants all day.

I don't remember it being like this when I was in the marching band - back in the day...
To be continued...

It is what it is...
Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment